Thursday, June 25, 2009

ARE YOU READY TO DIE?
“What man can live and not see death, or save himself from the power of the grave?”
Psalm 89:48

This week we mourn the death of three people: Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson. The odds of three American icons dying in the same week should seem strange, but really it is more common than we may care to believe. Once the first person passes, I find myself wondering who will be next. But everyone in America knew these three, despite who you were. Ed McMahon brought stars to the stage, and we all wished we were the lucky winner of that big check. Farrah Fawcett was not only Charlie’s Angel, but an American angel who made age seem like a number and not a lifestyle to embrace. And then Michael Jackson, who in my definition, was one of the most talented dancers of my time.
The Bible says that it is appointed to all men to die once (Heb 9:27). The question is, are we ready? When Adam and Eve ate the fruit, they were warned that the consequence would be death (Gen 2:17). Yet tempted with twisted words, they took a bite and their eyes were opened to their nakedness and shame. Were they ready to die? Isaac had no real choice. Abraham his father was obeying God and placed Isaac on the altar to sacrifice him. God intervened and told Abraham not to lay a hand on the child (Gen 22:12). But was Isaac ready to die? Esther laid down her life for her people. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were thrown into the blazing furnace. Daniel was thrown into a lion’s den. And let us not forget about all the disciples. Foxe’s Book of Martyrs tells us about others being crucified, tortured, burned, cut, beheaded. Were all these followers ready to die?
Are you ready to die? I am not. There is more I want to do in life. The problem is that I am running against the clock. If I cannot stop death and have no power over death itself, then I need to make sure my life is in order. Sure I have personal goals for myself, like visiting every state, traveling to see some of the greatest landmarks built, growing old and even, God willing, getting married again. But right now I am talking about my life in relation to God’s standards. Because of His love for me, Jesus gave up His life to save mine. Was He ready to die, to save a wretch like me? And yet because of His sacrifice for my life, He paved the way so that I can, in some peaceful way, be ready for death.
Do I want to die? No. But I know that when it is time, I will go to Heaven. How can I be so sure? Romans 10:9-10 is my guarantee. “That if you confess with your mouth that ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.” We will all die, there is no escape from it. The question to ponder is will we be ready when that time comes. I hope to live a nice full life, but if God saw fit to take me soon, then I would be ready because of the condition of my heart.
I do not know the beliefs and hearts of these three icons; I cannot sit in the judgment of these three. I can only judge my own heart. The same is true for you. Ask yourself right now, am I ready for death? Do you believe in God, and in the sacrifice He made to pave the road of love for us? Maybe you think that your good works or donations will get you into heaven. It will not; the only way is Jesus. Michael cannot dance his way into heaven. Farrah cannot act so well that the truth is not seen. Ed cannot hand Jesus one of those big checks. God looks at our hearts and listens for our confession. Do you believe and have you confessed? If not, then right now I challenge you to accept Christ into your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...