Monday, February 11, 2013

NAME BADGES
“Now if we are children, then we are heirs – heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.”
Romans 8:17

Saturday night my children and I attended WinterJam. For those of you who have not heard of WinterJam before, it is a Christian concert that lasts over four hours, normally includes about 8-10 artists, gives time for teaching God’s Word, and only costs $10 a person. Every year the artists change, but the show never disappoints. A few years back the headliner was the Newsboys, while this year we were privileged to see TobyMac. Now while I will agree that TobyMac ended the concert well, I cannot say that in my opinion he stole the show. I personally would have to give that honor to Matthew West. This thought has nothing to do with me getting older and not being able to handle the hip hop beat, but has more to do with his music being relatable. Matthew West is a story-teller, and he draws people in.
While I was listening to Matthew, I began to see myself in one specific story he told. Up on the jumbo-tron was an image of a man who looked maybe not much older than I. He began by saying his name and then identified himself with his problem. For this man it was drugs. While nursing a sports injury he became addicted and eventually was dropped off at a drug rehab because of the love his parents had for him. In his own words he described how he began to find freedom and ultimately find Christ again. As the segment ended he mentioned how he used to introduce himself as the guy with the drug problem, but how now he introduced himself to all as a child of the one true King.
As I heard this account, right before Matthew broke into his song inspired by this story, I remembered an entry I had written back in 2009. At the time my divorce was still semi fresh, and the way in which I was judged by others kept me marked. I felt as though I was walking around with a huge ‘D’ on my chest for divorce, much like the ‘A’ in The Scarlett Letter. Over time I had to work to stop listening to who the world said I was and listen to who God said I was. It was not easy, believe me, for the voices of the world screamed louder than the voice of God at times. But I humbly say that I am not worried now by this judgment due to divorce. It does not by any means, though, mean I do not struggle with other name badges.
Growing up I have worn the name badges of addict, loser, defeated, unlovable, failure, and idiot to name but a few. At times I have let these names truly define me. But these are not the name badges God defines me as. He calls me His Son, more than a conqueror, loved, the apple of His eye, accepted, and redeemed. Quite a difference in the name badge I stick on my chest verses the one He places on me. And yet, His is the one that matters. I should not be introducing myself as Daniel the divorced with a failed marriage. God has made me to be more than simply defined by that. Instead I should introduce myself as this gentleman now does.
Hello, my name is Daniel, and I am a child of the one true King.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJlCj9_Sfj0

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...