Tuesday, May 20, 2014

OVERSEER OF THE BODY part 3

“…not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.”
I Timothy 3:3

In the last two sessions we have been looking at the words of Paul to Timothy in regards to being an overseer. Now to recap what we have learned, let us go back and re-define the term ‘overseer’ as found in I Timothy 3:1. The Greek word for this title is EPISKOPE, and means an elder or bishop. This same word has a little deeper meaning to it, however. It is also defined as the act by which God looks into and searches out the ways and deeds, or character, of man. Already we have dissected the second verse and found that an overseer, whether in the use of minister or in the greater sense of one being searched by God, must not be reprehended to sin, must not be married to more than one physical woman and not married to both God and sin, must be sober from sin, must be able to curb sinful desires and fixate him/herself to God’s ways, be well arranged, hospitable, and finally possess the ability to teach others. Even still, there are more qualifications that Paul addresses that I want us to take a minute or so to look at today. With this in mind, we move to the third verse.
In I Timothy 3:3 we find four additional qualifications, starting with Paul stating to not be given to drunkenness. Already we defined the word sober, NEPHALEOS, in verse two, but here we see a distinction between sober and not being drunk. Our sobering is in the greater aspects of not being drunk on sin, for if we are not drinking of sin then we are not suffering the hangover of sin and have a clear mind. In verse three we find the word PAROINOS, meaning the literal fact of being drunk. While I know a great many ministers who do drink, whether occasionally or religiously, we are told here that a minister is to not be a drunkard. In our greater scope of understanding, what benefit is it to us and the example we are wanting to set for others if we are walking in the ways of the world. We are to set an example as opposed to conforming to the world.
The ‘episkope’ is not to be violent but instead gentle. Let me ask you this question. Which speaks louder to you, actions or words? You probably answered actions, as did I. To give an example here, let me refer to my marriage last year. As my wedding date grew closer I found myself telling my fiancée more and more that I loved her. However, when we were around each other I worked to find ways to show her, be it purchasing flowers, starring lovingly into her eyes, or even just embracing her a second or two longer. These actions helped to prove to her I was (and still am) serious about my love for her. But this same science can work the other way. My words could have been fluffy while my actions were negative. For this, Paul encourages us to not be violent. The word in Greek is PLEKTES, meaning to not be a bruiser or ready to blow. I say this for anyone reading this, that those with anger issues, while they can be used by God, may not receive the full blessing. Case and point, look at Moses. It was his anger that kept him out of the Promise Land. Instead of obeying God and speaking, he allowed the murmuring of the people to work his nerve and he smote the rock. That act of disobedience prevented him from walking into the full promise. Let us not follow Moses’ steps and end our time looking in as opposed to walking in.
On the heels of warning us to not be ready to blow, we find the warning also to not be quarrelsome, or to be an AMACHOS in the Greek. This word translates to mean a brawler. This is the bully who picks a fight, and can too be seen in both contexts of the word ‘episkope’. For the minister, this action can prove as the one who is always right, the one who is contentious, and the one who forces his belief on others. How dare you differ even slightly with the opinion of the pastor. What I love about theology, though, is that each of us are told to work out our own salvation. If we are open to God’s leading, He will open our eyes to the truth without the bullish tactics from the pulpit. And the same is true of those not in the pulpit. We are not to force our beliefs on others and quarrel over theology. Now it is true, we are to allow God’s Word to be a light to those in darkness, and allow ourselves to be the tool used, but again it comes down to our speaking the truth in love and allowing the seed planted to grow. The quarreler may take people farther away from God than work to bring them close.
Lastly in this verse we read the qualification of not being a lover of money. While money is needed for day to day life, being given to the greed of money is wrong. Jesus Himself spoke concerning the love of money. The word actually has a greater meaning, though. In the Greek this word is APHILARGUROS, meaning the literal love of money as well as the sin of coveting. Remember this from Exodus 20:17, “You shall not covet…”? Here again we see the warning concerning coveting and how this greed is sin. And this warning is not just for the minister. The love of money equates to the serving of money, making money a second god under God. But the love of money also taints us to where we begin to want more and more. Now I am not saying by any means that people should be poor and suffering, but I am saying that when money becomes our god, we are in violation of having a god other than God Himself. To save us all from this error, Paul warns of this in his list of qualifications.
I don’t know about you, but as I continue to read through and examine myself in accordance to these qualifications, I see areas in my life where I need some help. Little by little I can look back and see where I have allowed sin to creep in. As sobering as this is, there is still hope. I still have the ability to ask God to forgive my behaviors, and ask Him to help me make the changes needed so that I can be a valid ‘episkope’, both in everyday life and behind the pulpit when He deems the time right. Perhaps you are beginning to have these same revelations that I am. Perhaps you are measuring yourself as an ‘episkope’ according to these words and you are seeing the disconnect too. If so, then join me. Join me in asking God to forgive the areas where you have fallen and strengthen you in your walk. He will do it, but we must ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...