Monday, March 12, 2012

EVERY NEED MET
“And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.”
Philippians 4:19

I have taken up walking again. Last summer my goal was to walk 500 miles within a three month time frame which I did complete in time. For the month of March I decided I would make another goal for walking. So as I set out this morning on a three mile waltz before work, I found myself quickly in prayer. It almost seems many times that with each step God reveals something new to me, as if we are walking next to each other and having a real conversation. This morning was no different and I quickly found myself sharing with Him some of the areas I feel lack in. In my spirit I was quickened to recall the scripture of Philippians 4:19 concerning having needs met, but thought to myself, “that verse has to do with finances and my concerns are not with finances right now.” I was then quickened again, almost corrected by the Spirit after thinking this thought. For the remainder of the walk I was reminded of God’s title, Jehovah Jireh, and was instructed by the Spirit on what exactly it entails.
Before I go on, let me explain my thinking of Philippians 4:19 being money related only, just incase you read it the same way I was. In the closing piece of Paul’s letter to the Philippians, starting in 4:10, Paul states that he rejoices greatly for the Philippians renewed concern for Paul. A few verses later he reminds them that as he was leaving from Macedonia, not one church shared with him in the matter of giving and receiving except for that in Philippi. Even when Paul was in Thessalonica it was the Philippians who sent aid over and over. I, in my shallow mindset, relate aid to money and therefore simply relate that the Philippians sent Paul money on many occasions. But in what dictionary does the word ‘all’ used by Paul mean only money? The word in Greek, PAS, actually means each, everyone, the whole, and each type. No definition of the word singles out finances.
After I was quickened and reminded of the word ‘all’, I was then reminded of the first time the Bible even records the use of Jehovah Jireh. We need to go all the way back to Genesis 22:14 for this. It is here that we read of Abraham ascending Mount Moriah to sacrifice Isaac as instructed by God. When Isaac questioned where the lamb for the sacrifice was, Abraham responded that God would provide (Gen 22:8). A few verses later, after Abraham had put his son on the altar in obedience to God, and was then stopped by God, Abraham looked up to see in the thicket a ram which was caught. That ram became the sacrifice and the place was called “Adonai Yir’eh”, meaning God will see to it and provide. There is in this passage no reference to finances, yet is the first time God is named as our provider.
The question I ask then in light of the true meaning of this word is what are you in need of? If I may be honest, when I was praying this morning I was pouring out my heart concerning my desire for a wife and step-mother for my children, my desire to move to a new place soon, and my desire to parent my children better. I say this not to prove myself humble, but to show you that my requests had nothing to do with money. Yet to these prayer requests I was responded to with the words, “I am Jehovah Jireh and I will meet all your needs.” It is true, my God will supply for all my needs according to His glorious riches. In fact, He longs to supply for His children, and given them good gifts (Matt 7:11). I encourage you today to put your faith in Him, for everything that is needed can be found in Him. It is God who even now is supplying for all my needs whether I see it or not. He is my Jehovah Jireh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...