Sunday, January 1, 2012

OUR TIME
“[Mordecai] sent back this answer, ‘Do not think that because you are in the king’s house you alone of all the Jews will escape. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?’”
Esther 4:13-14

I realize that starting off the year with the account of Esther seems odd. After all, this account is normally shared during the Festival of Purim, which isn’t till March. But in reflecting last night on 2011 and having expectancy for what is to come in 2012, I remembered the words of Mordecai. To recap, Esther was a Jew, but for fear was instructed by her uncle, Mordecai, to not tell anyone. When the king held his royal beauty contest, Esther won and became the Queen in Vashti’s place. Events followed and the evil Haman, who hated the Jews, cast the pur to decide when the Jews would die, by royal approval. Once the date was named it was put into motion. But Adonai was working from the inside. It was no coincidence that Esther had become queen, and with a pep-talk from Mordecai, she pleaded for the lives of her people. The king took personally the threat on his queen and her people, and in the end the Jews were saved and Haman was hung.
Perhaps in reading this summary you are more perplexed than ever about what Esther has to do with a New Year. Well as I said, I was reflecting on the words of Mordecai last night. In this dark hour for the Jewish race, Mordecai sent a message to Esther, which read, “‘Do not think that because you are in the king’s house you alone of all the Jews will escape. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?’” Mordecai saw the hand of God at work. It was as if he was privy to the true reason that Esther had been named queen. Yes, her beauty won the contest, but it was her God who had placed her in this position and at this time.
The question I want us to reflect on as we go into 2012, and hopefully throughout the entire year, revolves around timing. Last night as I watched the ball drop on TV, I found myself asking God in prayer what time it was. I do not want to waste the position that God has placed me in. As a father I do not want to look back ten years from now only to feel as though I wasted ten years with my kids, too busy to play with them or take time to learn their interests. I do not want to look back even a year from now and realize that I spent more time on pointless actions like watching TV instead of investing myself or spending time with God. I do not want even another minute to pass where I am passive when called to be pointed. I have been placed in this position for such a time as this. Will I waste it?
As I shared a few weeks back, I have spent time in prayer with God and received direction for my life concerning this new year. For me the word is ‘study’. I do not know the details of what I will study, or how the studying will change my life, but I do know that this is the season in which I have been appointed. I, like Queen Esther, have been placed in my post for a purpose. I may not fully know the purpose, but that is alright. All I have to know is that this time is destined. Your time is destined as well. You have been placed in a position for a reason, and for such a time as this. This is our time, our season to be purposeful. Let us then move forward in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...