Sunday, December 13, 2009

A LITTLE HELP, PLEASE!
"How long, O LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, 'Violence!' but you do not save?"
Habakkuk 1:2

I've had a few days of vacation lately, and spent some great mornings with God. I would like to share with you one of the revelations God opened my eyes to this past week. As I have been reviewing this past year myself, I have been thinking about all the times I have cried out to God and wondered when He was going to answer. So when I read the book of Habakkuk and saw him asking the same question, I couldn't help but laugh a little. God answered Habakkuk, but maybe not the way he expected.

Here is a brief summary of Habakkuk:
Habakkuk had seen an amount of violence and a lack of justice, so he cried out to the LORD. Basically, Habakkuk said, "God, don't you see what's happening? Why don't you do something?" God's response to Habakkuk was that he was ready to bring the Babylonians to conquer the known world, including swallowing up Judah. To say the least, Habakkuk is dumbfounded. God then makes it clear that He also plans to destroy Babylon for its violence and bloodshed, years later. Once Habakkuk understands God's full response, he writes a psalm about the LORD's terrible wrath. In that psalm, the prophet pledges to wait patiently for God's appointed time of salvation.

1:1-4 Habakkuk cries out for help. "...the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails...justice is perverted."
1:5-11 God responds, "Look at the nations and watch - and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told." Then He shares that He is raising Babylonia, the ruthless, self-seeking, proud bunch. They are strong, sleek, stealth and ready to destroy.
1:12-2:1 God, you're doing WHAT? You hate violence. Why do you allow this? I will stand here and wait for the answer.
2:2-5 "For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end, and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay." They will never be satisfied; they will always want more.
2:6-20 The LORD explains that the enemy will be opposed. They built the city on unjust gain and bloodshed. Finally, "You will be filled with shame instead of glory. Now it is your turn! Drink and be exposed! The cup from the LORD's right hand is coming around to you, and disgrace will cover your glory." Your idols are no match for God.
3:1-19 God's power is remembered, but also His ability to deliver. "You came out to deliver your people, to save your anointed one. You crushed the leader of the land of wickedness, you stripped him from head to foot." God used the enemy's weapons against themselves. Though the crops have died out this season, I will rejoice in the LORD. Because of Him, I am able to go higher.

I am not sure about you, but how many times in my own prayer life do I hear God say He has something bigger for me than what I can fathom right now? I tell God my list of pains and happenings and question, "Don't you see what I am dealing with? When are all these problems going to disappear?" But I am reminded of something God spoke to me after my divorce - your pain will be your platform. How? Because in God's time He WILL DO things I cannot fathom. The enemy will be defeated and God's power will be seen. The enemy will be opposed and will be filled with shame. God's cup is coming around, and disgrace will be poured out on the enemy.
God is at work in you, just as he is in me. It may look like injustice is winning, but what is God doing that we cannot imagine? What looks like bad circumstance now will be blessing soon. The enemy will be defeated. Until then, just as after then, we will praise Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...